Welcome!

Your real-time connection to kids in the classroom, around the world, and all things Beyond the Block!

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sube Cada Montana

Our hiking crew at the top of the mountain!
And at the bottom:-)











Today we went with the Boys’ Group to climb a mountain in Arenoso, a town just down the road from where we’re staying in Los Pajones.  George, who is a medical student at a university in the US, is studying in nearby Santiago for a few months and working in the hospital there.  He runs the Boys’ Group.  We tagged along today and had so much fun!

We went up the steepest hill--only to find that there are houses at the top!  The people and kids who live there have to climb up and down that hill every day to go to school and work.  I’m not sure if I could do that...could you?
Bingo and Luis Diego love to climb trees.  They're little monos (monkeys:-)).

We stopped for a bit to climb trees and drink sodas.  I liked how all the kids put their money together and bought two sodas, then shared them between the 10 of us.  I usually buy myself a soda and don’t even think of sharing it with one other person!  They are so generous.
We found a little religious altar.  This is Ari in front of the “sanctuario”.

After, we kept going up the hill.  I thought there was going to be a trail, and I guess there was, but this trail was not like any trail I’ve been on before!  There were plants, trees, mud, and cow poop everywhere--the kids were laughing pretty hard seeing us gringos trying to make it up this hill that they knew so well!  But they were so sweet and one always walked behind me and in front of me to make sure I wouldn’t fall.  Or at least make sure that if I did fall I didn’t hurt myself too badly!  Well, let me tell you, those 12 year old boys are strong and they saved my life!  If they weren’t there to help me, I am sure I would have fallen face first down that hill!  They kept telling me to be careful, showed me where to walk that was safe, and held out their hands to help me up across really muddy parts.  Isn’t that the nicest thing ever?
Hen and Franchi

We got to the top and it was like nothing I’ve ever seen before!  The kids here really appreciate nature.  Even though they live here, they were taking in the view with as much awe as we were.  They kept telling me, “Un foto aqui! It’s beautiful!”  And it was. 
The view from the top!

So I was wondering...
When was the last time you shared something with others?
Has anyone ever gone out of their way to help you even though they really didn’t have to?
Do you like spending time in the outdoors?  What do you like about nature?

Feel free to post your answer in the comments section!  And check back soon--hopefully we;ll be able to post some video of George surfing down the hill on a palm tree leaf!  It was so crazy! Hasta Pronto, Debbie
On our way down, we stopped to play dominoes!  There’s always time for dominoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment