Welcome!

Your real-time connection to kids in the classroom, around the world, and all things Beyond the Block!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

AHMI Presentation

We had such a great time in Phoenix at the American Humanics Management Institute.  American Humanics is a program that my college (University of San Diego) and many others offer to prepare students for a career in nonprofit management and human services.  My AH education gave me some great experience, so when I when I was offered a chance to speak to students at the AH conference this year, I immediately said yes. 

I saw my old teacher from USD, Teresa Van Horn, which was awesome, and I sat in on some great presentations about Fundraising and Board Development.  I also did some Career Coaching for a few college students.  We looked over their resumes and talked about their future goals.  It was really fun.  Going to AHMI made me feel like the future of our world is in good hands!

Our presentation went pretty well--it was called From Idea to Action: Starting Your Own Nonprofit Corporation.  I had no idea that the students were going to come in with such passionate, well-developed ideas!  I was blown away!  They are way past where I was at their age!  Haha!  We had a lot more participation than we expected, so we didn’t quite get to finish.  Special thanks to volunteer extraordinaire Hendrick White for all his help.  He is like the Wizard of Oz hanging out behind the curtain--I couldn’t have done it without him! 

For all of you who were in the presentation and would like a copy of the PowerPoint, feel free to email me.

I love helping out people who are just starting out in the nonprofit field and I like hearing what other people are doing, so if you have any questions don’t hesitate to email or call me!  Oh, and be sure to leave a comment to let us know what you thought about our presentation!

Happy 2010!  Big things are about to happen with BTB!  I’ll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment